From the management team to the business front line
IGPI offers one-and-only professional services that accelerate the growth of clients.
Hands-on Management Support
From management team to the frontline of business scenes, we embed IGPI professionals at critical points in your organization to ensure effective implementation of strategic change.
Comprehensive Management Reform
To succeed in management reforms, we serve our clients through teams of experienced professionals with extensive knowledge on every element of business reform and provide support not only from an objective perspective but also by engaging deeply in the client’s organization.
- Planned and implemented management reform throughout company (including strategy and business development in emerging markets) through on-site collaboration at clients’ headquarters and business units
- Supported business portfolio optimization and associated divestments and withdrawals, dispatching advisory teams on long-term assignments to our client
- Assessed business structure in a complex entity and devised strategy for multiple levels within the corporate group, helped determine appropriate resource allocation and analyzed the associated financial impact
Revitalizing Strategic Subsidiaries
We will review the business portfolios of the entire group, articulate the reform path for the strategic subsidiary including how subsidiary governance and group company management should be, and provide multifaceted and effective support to realize it.
- Developed business strategy for critical domains, and implemented business reorganization plan for a complex parent and subsidiary group
- Defined the growth story for a listed subsidiary and created a plan for transitioning to 100% parent-company ownership
- Determined appropriate governance and management structures for a strategic subsidiary and implemented action plan
On-site Placement of IGPI Managers
At times, there are situations when a plan cannot be executed fully by the current management alone. IGPI members who have overcome serious situations in management will take part in the management team and not only present solutions but also move ahead with the execution along with the client.
- Formulated revitalization strategies and provided execution support for a long-established food manufacturer that was experiencing sluggish performance, and later provided further growth support by dispatching a manager from IGPI
- Rebuilt a business hit by an earthquake disaster, helped it make a corporate acquisition for regrowth and provided integration support before dispatching an outside director from IGPI to provide continued growth support
Theory alone is not enough. The strategies we develop for business reform are always specific and actionable, because we commit from analysis through actual implementation.
Development of New Businesses
Professionals with extensive knowledge and experience in diverse types of industries will also draw on information accumulated in the organization to offer seamless support, from formulating concepts to actually starting up businesses.
- Created comprehensive new business development plan, scoped to include overseas business opportunities and M&A
- Developed plan and core guideline for seed technology assets held by major listed company, and provided support though the execution process
- Supported technology innovation through strategizing, consolidating company infrastructure, building more robust financial foundation and pursuing win-win business collaboration
Accelerating Growth of Existing Businesses
Professionals familiar respectively with business and finances, which are inseparable and essential to management, will provide seamless support for the consideration of both aspects through close collaboration with the client in order to realize growth.
- Drafted and implemented growth strategy, embedded professionals for the implementation phase and executed PDCA cycle
- Created M&A-driven and other growth strategies and conducted IGPI professionals front-line implementation support
- Developed strategic options for growth, and provided direct support for both operational issues and funding procurement required to finance growth initiative
Formulating Business Plans
Together with the client, we will formulate realistic long-term strategies and a medium-term management plan based on numerical models by financial professionals coupled with the insights of business strategy professionals. Further, we will provide support toward creating mechanisms for operating the PDCA cycle.
- Reformed company-wide strategy, formulated medium-term plan, and creating PDCA structure for business, finance and organization management
- Developed strategic pillar, medium-term business plan and alliance initiative based on long-term competitive assessment
- Assisted client negotiations with financial institution requiring evidence of robust strategic business planning in order to continue providing critical financial support
M&A Advisory Services
With viewpoint of post-M&A business operations, we provide seamless support for the entire process related to M&A, from planning business and financial strategies to executing transactions and post-merger integration.
From Strategic Planning to Deal Execution
Strategy-planning and M&A professionals will form a team and provide a one-stop service to support the series of steps necessary for a strategic M&A, from planning a company-wide management strategy to supporting individual transactions.
- Created business strategy and implemented capital injection from strategic partner for major listed media companies
- Advised on business strategy and business spin-off for IT companies
- Advised on debt-equity swaps for listed companies undertaking business restructuring and capital increases
Hands-on Support from Deal Execution to PMI
We integrate PMI planning into the earliest stages of M&A initiatives, ensuring that PMI strategy can be implemented promptly after transaction closes. We provide strategic, organizational and institutional support for the entire integration process, embedding our professionals alongside the new organization.
- Advised on acquisition in Asia by Japanese company and provided full on-site PMI support, including creation of medium-term business plan
- Advised on transaction and provided PMI support for M&A by a major systems integrator
- Planned and implemented PMI for an acquisition by a real estate developer
Cross-Border M&A Support
We provide Japanese client companies abroad with cross-border M&A support utilizing our professionals with extensive experience and our global networks. As with domestic deals, we can provide one-stop support, from strategy planning to PMI.
- Provided advisory services to a major Japanese company on acquiring a Chinese company
- Planned overseas M&A strategies for a major advertising information service company
- Provided advisory services to a listed Japanese company on acquiring an Indonesian start-up
We walk side by side with venture firms in a deep and extended manner, from its launch to acceleration of business, and also assist in creating businesses by connecting major companies and venture firms.
Investment into Venture Firms and Hands-on Investment
From the seed and early stages involving polishing technologies and ideas to the middle and later stages involving aiming to penetrate markets with products and services, we provide comprehensive assistance to venture companies in a wide range of business stages through people, knowledge and capital.
- Carried out investments into and hands-on assistance to ventures that arise from research and development institutions such as universities
- Executed investments into and carried out joint research for ventures in the areas of artificial intelligence and big data
- Executed investments into and assisted in creating business for ventures utilizing IT technologies
Assisting in Creating Businesses with Venture Firms
We provide pragmatic assistance, which is possible due to IGPI’s very own investment execution and business operation knowledge, to major companies that need to collaborate with outside entities, which are mainly venture firms.
- Launched corporate venture capitals and assisted in their management
- Carried out organizational designs necessary to implement investments and open innovation, and assisted in executing investments
- Provided advisory services on the occasion of major companies’ acquisition of venture firms (both to sellers and buyers)
Big Data / AI
A group of specialists will drive the evolution and reform of companies, from building corporate strategies with an eye on the arrival of a full-fledged big data/AI era marked by IoT, Industry 4.0 and ○○Tech, from assisting in reforms and deriving measures for strategic use of data to building AI.
Assisting in Building Big Data / AI Strategies
We assist in deriving the anticipated changes in industrial structure by making full use of our knowledge of state-of-the-art AI technologies and business trends as well as come up with and execute realistic intrinsic solutions which companies and businesses should take in consideration of those changes.
- Assisted in building business strategies taking into account the changes and influence of AI and IoT by large machinery manufacturers on industry structure
- Considered a new business for a commercial equipment manufacturer utilizing cutting-edge AI and provided hands-on assistance for developing new products
- Assisted in building a data acquisition strategy for enhancing the competitiveness of a financial institution
Assisting in Utilizing Strategic Data
Professionals with real business knowledge cultivated through numerous management support experiences coupled with knowledge of a wide range of data analyses will assist in deriving measures for utilizing companies’ strategic data as well as building AI and introducing and using it in business scenes.
- Assisted in considering a financial institution’s new business utilizing its data and company-wide measures including those for improving business efficiency
- Assisted in considering a healthcare equipment manufacturer’s new business utilizing product data and AI
- Assisted a food maker in building AI to improve sales strategy and productivity by utilizing sales and external data
Assisting in AI Development
We assist companies and businesses in choosing AI that is optimal for them, carry out development and implementation support, and create new businesses and values through the activities of our own AI engineers as well as by coordinating with our partner, the Matsuo Laboratory at the University of Tokyo, and utilizing state-of-the-art AI.
- Developed for a real estate company an AI that predicts the probability of closing contracts with customers and an AI that recommends products to purchase
- Conducted research and development for a machinery maker on an AI that enables automatic operation of machines utilizing cutting-edge AI (joint development)
We formulate concepts that organically connect the functions of a manufacturer’s management, business scene and value chain to reinforce the manufacturing industry’s essential competitiveness. We will commit ourselves to executing this and follow through with hands-on assistance.
Rebuilding Manufacturing Capability
We organically connect the engineering and supply chains based on strategic, organizational and financial standpoints to strengthen the capability of displaying competitive advantage.
- Reinforced product appeal and cost competitiveness for an automobile manufacturer by formulating and introducing a design and production architecture concept
- Conducted company-wide reforms for an auto parts manufacturer including product strategy planning, visualizing and reducing costs, introducing modularization and reforming overseas bases
- Shortened the design lead time through modularization at a machinery and equipment manufacturer and secured superiority in the market
Alignment of Technology and Business Competitiveness
The management environment is going through substantial changes due to new technologies such as AI and IoT. At IGPI, we are committed thoroughly to reality in promoting restructuring and reforms to each functional department in addition to coming up with technological and business strategies and a sophisticated action plan.
- Formulated for a production equipment manufacturer a structural reform initiative marked by technology and strategy planning, carried out an organizational reform plan and incorporated it through operation reforms
- Designed for an auto parts manufacturer a process for proposing advanced technologies and provided hands-on assistance for executing the proposals
- Created for an auto parts manufacturer new products and services utilizing AI and organized their execution
Factory Management Reform
In the manufacturing industry, strong factories are an important management resource. We proceed with hands-on engagement in essential activities including competitive process planning, compiling strategies for internal or external manufacturing, optimizing production bases and improving quality.
- Implemented for a machinery equipment manufacturer a drastic reform package to rebuild a Chinese base (restructuring, process outsourcing, quality improvement)
- Made costs visible, improved the production process, reformed production and sales, and planned and executed cost reduction measures for a major Chinese-capital large-casting manufacturer
- Conducted for a precision equipment manufacturer activity to reduce manufacturing costs at European and Chinese bases, reorganize factory management, develop human resources, build PDCA mechanisms and implement hands-on operations
Regional Airport Operation
IGPI professionals are working on the forefront at regional airports to create models for new regional airport operations and a realistic business management model toward regional economic revitalization.
Innovation for Airport Operation
We implement productivity improvement and innovation that do not dwell on existing norms and customs while ensuring the safety and security of airports.
- Worked on IoT-advanced airport (Nanki-Shirahama Airport)
- Provided advisory concerning privatization of public infrastructure (overall concession)
Regional Business Management (Destination Management Organization functions)
We implement new models for attracting visitors and regional revitalization at airports which are contact points for external economies and gateways to local areas.
- Worked on regional economic revitalization from both tourism and business standpoints through inbound visitors, workation, luring IoT companies and holding Meeting, Incentive, Convention, Exhibition/Event (MICE) at resorts, etc. (Nanki-Shirahama Airport)
- Provided advisory concerning regional business management and regional economic revitalization (overall regional revitalization)
For various management issues involving markets in countries around the world, we derive optimal solutions from a global standpoint and provide execution support with a hands-on approach while cooperating with our overseas bases in Shanghai and Singapore.
Planning Support for Expansion Strategies
We speedily collect primary information from local firms and consumers and propose a highly feasible strategy that takes into account the competitive environment and the company’s capabilities.
- Assisted in planning a strategy for a healthcare equipment manufacturer’s new business in Singapore
- Assisted in planning a strategy for a Singaporean restaurant chain to enter the Japanese market
- Assisted in negotiations for entering into a joint venture with a Chinese company (or dissolving a venture) and provided execution support for integrating bases and reviewing their positioning
Accelerating Growth in Local Markets
Utilizing our own networks, we support efforts to achieve results, from upstream strategy planning to tie-up negotiations and actual sales assistance.
- Searched for a local distributor in Vietnam for a home electronics maker and provided tie-up support
- Formulated a grand design for entering Chinese markets (target market, target products/services, ways to approach, etc.)
- Assisted in tie-ups with Chinese companies (identifying potential partners, conducting initial sounding out, conducting tie-up negotiations, etc.)
Building Management/Governance Systems for Overseas Bases
We propose division of roles in the home country and overseas with an eye on future expansion strategies, design the local human resources hiring/incentive scheme to realize rapid decision-making abroad and assist in building other local management systems.
- Assisted in building a Southeast Asia-wide monitoring system for a service provider group
- Assisted in organizational design and building a local management system for an IT company
- Assisted in building a management system and monitoring of a Vietnamese base of an educational business
Transportation Business Management
We have established a holding company and manage numerous transportation and tourism companies under it. (As of September 2019, there were a total of 4,900 employees and 2,400 buses)
Developing Transportation and Tourism Businesses as Our Own Business
We have established Michinori Holdings as a wholly owned subsidiary. We have taken majority stakes in multiple transportation and tourism companies and dispatched management professionals. Further, we have realized sharing the best practices to implement business management like never seen before.
- Michinori Holdings took a 100% stake in Fukushima Transportation
- Michinori Holdings took a 100% stake in Ibaraki Transportation
- Michinori Holdings was transferred 100% of Shonan Monorail’s stocks held by companies such as Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Mitsubishi Corporation
Investment and Project to Support the Development of Regional Economies
We contribute to the maintenance and development of regional social infrastructure through the improvement of labor conditions to create good employment opportunities, through capital investment for the sustainable development of businesses and through social implementation of new technologies.
- Conducted demonstration experiment of smart bus stops for Aizu Bus (next-generation bus stops utilizing the combination of electronic paper and LPWA [low power, wide area] wireless technology)
- Pioneer, Michinori Holdings and Ibaraki Transportation conducted a demonstration experiment for technical development of autonomous-driving regular-route buses
- Northern Iwate Transportation and Yamato Transport jointly began a mixed loading service in which a remodeled regular-route bus transports passengers and parcels
Principal-Investment and Management Support
We inject IGPI’s human resources and capital into a wide range of investment targets and realize the improvement of corporate value by sharing medium- to long-term risks with clients and main stakeholders.
Principal-Investment and Management Support at Various Stages
We carry out principal-investment and management support to companies, from seed-stage ventures to firms that need to be revitalized, at a wide range of investment ratios, from minority to majority stake, depending on the situation of the company that requires capital.
- Subscribed to a third-party allocation of new shares by venture firms and dispatched directors
- Subscribed to a third-party allocation of new shares by automobile parts manufacturer that are listed companies
Specific Case of Investment
- Subscribed to a third-party allocation of new shares by Ikegai , a machine tool maker, etc
Joint Investment with Business Firms and On-site Placement of IGPI Managers
As a business partner, we carry out investment into companies or businesses jointly with business firms and provide support for its growth and revitalization from the standpoint of sharing risks. After carrying out joint investment, we will dispatch IGPI’s management personnel depending on the needs.
- Subscribed jointly with business firms to a third-party allocation of new shares by service industry companies and dispatched management personnel
- Subscribed jointly with business firms to a third-party allocation of new shares by overseas service companies
Specific case of investment
- Subscribed jointly with KDDI to a third-party allocation of new shares by KKBOX, a music content distributor for multiple devices, etc
Utilizing our knowledge and networks in cutting-edge technology, we provide proactive support toward optimal commercialization for technology seeds and related strategies of university laboratories, ventures and major corporations through various approaches including start-ups, business development and joint research.
Business Development Support
We provide support in forms of consulting and joint research for business value improvements centering on technology, from enhancing or reforming existing businesses to starting new ones. By fulfilling the role as a bridge between major corporations, ventures and the academic world, we will together seek optimal and unique solutions for businesses and technologies in question and aim to implement them.
- Supported the consideration of digital transformation (such as productivity improvement, etc.) including introduction of AI by utilizing business task review and data owned by a major industrial company
- Supported the planning and implementation of organizational designing involving major manufacturers’ open innovation and collaboration systems with universities and research organizations
We collaborate with academia concerning patents and research resources and achievements owned by the academic world and support their utilization and social implementation.
- Supported the social implementation of technology (joint research and technology incubation with companies)
- Supported the launch of businesses for research and development achievements at academic clusters (R&D and demonstration base)
We are committed to the business scenes of companies facing a survival crisis and realize a turnaround by taking the lead to give instructions on the field to overcome various problems and conflicts.
Taking the Lead to Give Instructions for Business Revitalization
Various professionals with knowledge in the business, finance and organization take the driver’s seat in companies to provide support, from planning the rebuilding to implementing it with a sense of ownership
- Formulated a structural reform plan for a manufacturer and dispatched IGPI’s professionals to lead structural reforms and help implement them
- Formulated a plan to rebuild a food service industry company, implemented it and helped coordinate with financial institutions. Afterward, IGPI dispatched a director to implement reforms and enhance governance
- Took the lead on the field to restructure an overseas base, planned its withdrawal and execution
Realizing Turnaround as Shareholder (investing into regenerating companies)
Utilizing our own networks, we support clients, from upstream strategy planning to tie-up negotiations and actual sales assistance.
- IGPI dispatched a director and made an investment into a manufacturer that we were helping with business revitalization. We realized a turnaround through larger commitment as a shareholder
- IGPI provided full support for structural reforms to a service industry company from the standpoint of knowledge, people and capital
- IGPI cooperated with a global company to carry out joint investment and joint management. As a result, we realized a quick turnaround and further globalization of the target firm
Business Revitalization through Industry Consolidation
We carry out consolidation with the aim not only to improve the company’s performance on the short term but also to attain stability of management in the medium- to long-term periods and increase corporate value, and support business revitalization involving industry consolidation.
- Drastically compressed fixed costs through consolidation involving a manufacturer in a period of maturity. As a result, the company realized improvement in profitability that could not have been achieved alone
- Got out of a declining domestic market through capital tie-up with a global company
- Supported the rollup of a service industry company, from strategy planning to M&A to synergism, and realized significant enhancement in corporate value
We provide people, capital and knowledge to implement the improvement of productivity of the region and industry overall toward establishing sustainability of regional economies, which are Japan’s core group of industries.
We perform hands-on management support including CX (corporate transformation) and DX (digital transformation) from a long-term perspective.
Not a Fund but a Business Management Company
We implement investments toward long-term sustainable growth and lasting business management to companies deemed to be in the position of key industry in the region, with regeneration, reorganization and business succession as starting points without a preset short-term exit plan.
- Promoted long-term proactive capital investment and human resources investment to drive growth for public transport infrastructure business, rather than place restraints on investment
- Promoted regional revitalization while cooperating and working as one with the tourism and accommodation industry in terms of airport operation business
Hands-on Business Development and Management Innovation
We will fuse business regeneration, growth know-how and technology knowledge cultivated in the IGPI group and implement drastic improvements in productivity in a hands-on manner for each company, region or industry. We will also rebuild the essential organizational ability of each company and establish sustainability.
- Extracted the potential for improving productivity in the catering industry, invested in businesses and companies that play central roles in industry transformation models or rollups and promoted reforms
- Accompanied the business development involving investment together with companies oriented toward the revitalization and platform building for overall designated area